May 21, 2010

June 2010: In Defense of Food


"In Defense of Food" by Micheal Pollan

Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, the follow-up to his widely praised The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, should probably come with a warning: After reading this book, you may never shop, cook, or eat the same way again. -- Barnes & Noble

Holly: This book made me much more conscience of processed foods and thoughtful of what I eat. Now I feel guilty when I enjoy a Taco Bueno burrito.

Jen S.: I thought it was really interesting.I'm definitely thinking of food, food marketing and even food manufacturing differently now.

Chari: Thought he had lots of valid points and liked all the research and history of food.

Stephanie: I thought it was an interesting and briefly inspiring read (not long lasting enough for me to permanently change my eating habits!). A little dry in parts but overall I found it informative.

Kerry: Hold on... I have to go hide the GoGurt that is in my fridge. It has Shrek on it, how could I refuse the pleas from the kids? Anyway, before reading this book I was considering canceling our order at http://www.yourhealthsource.org/
because I don't know what to do with kale or turnips, but after reading "In Defense of Food," I decided I have to stick with it. Every time I go to the store I will now look for lamb's quarters and purslane, the healthiest plants (I have never seen them before!) This book totally freaked me out, but I think that is good. Anyone needing a motivator to change their food habits, needs to read this book.


No comments: