December 31, 2008

January 2009: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius


"A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers

Jen: Far far from genius.

Holly: We survived.

Becca: Only ten minutes of fun, hours of agony.

Kasey: It's like being in the mind of a manic depressive.

Amanda: How did this f$c*i^g book end up as a f$c*i^g Pulitzer Prize finalist?

Shannon: Ho-hum. Stop the yammering already.

Aday: When one tries too hard to become a heartbreaking work of staggering genius, you end up with this book.

Jerilyn: I'm glad I didn't read it.

Chari: I found the book to be exhausting and thought Eggers was full of himself. I can't believe I actually finished it as much as I disliked his all over the map writing style.


2 comments:

Kristin Stockton said...

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it last week, but after talking to Shannon and reading everyone's posts, I'm kind of glad I avoided the backlash I probably would've gotten...I read this book a couple of years ago and I LOVED IT. I didn't read it again this year, but I flipped through it and remembered how much I liked it. Maybe I'm a glutton for misery...

Scott said...

Kristen, I loved it too. I'm certain Jen won't be asking me for any more book recomendations for a while, though.